The Department of Geology offers programs leading to the Master of Arts (MA) or Master of Science (MS) in Geology, with an option in Geohydrology, the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) or Master of Science in Teaching (MST), and Certificate Programs in Hydrogeology, Engineering Geology, and Environmental Geology. Program details can be found by following the link below the Admission Criteria.
The M.A./M.S. program is designed to train geology students beyond the baccalaureate degree for professional employment or for advanced graduate work. The M.A.T./M.S.T program is offered for teachers in secondary schools and community colleges.
The Geology Department is an active participant in the School of Environment EES Ph.D. program. Please see the School of Environment web site for program specifics.
Admission criteria for all incoming graduate students
For all applicants
- Meet the University Graduate Admission Requirements
- EITHER: The equivalent of our undergraduate BS Geology degree.
OR: If you have a BS in a Science other than geology, then courses equivalent to our undergraduate core (see next section). For certificate programs we may accept the ASBOG Fundamentals exam in lieu of a BS in Geology.
- 1 Year of Calculus
- Linear Algebra
- 1 Year of Physics (Calculus-based preferred)
- 1 Year of Chemistry
For applicants without a BS in Geology
- Allied Sciences requirements (see section above)
- Equivalent of our undergraduate core:
- G 312 Mineralogy
- G 314 Petrology
- G 318 Processes in the Surface Environment
- G 324 Computer Applications and Information Technology
- G 326 Numerical Modeling of Earth Systems
- G 434 Structural Geology and Tectonics
- G 435 Stratigraphy
- G 485 Field Methods in Geosciences
Other program information and links
- All required Allied Science and Geology courses need to be completed prior to admission to Geology graduate programs.
- In geology-related and allied sciences, we are looking for a GPA of 3.0 or better
- Field Camp. Although not a requirement for admission, completion a field camp is a requirement for our MS or MA degrees. Students are encouraged to have completed a summer field camp before starting their graduate program at PSU.
- Application instructions and forms
- Graduate Programs and Resources (including catalog links)
- Geology Department Graduate Certificates
- For more information, please contact the Graduate Commitee Chair, Kenneth M. Cruikshank