Graduate Application Instructions
For the PhD program, which is a collaboration among multiple departments, apply here: School of the Environment.
To apply to the Geology MA/MS and Graduate Certificate programs please first review the
Geology Department Admission Criteria.
An application must be made to the University and to the Geology Department. To apply to the University please visit the Office of Graduate Studies.
For the Geology Department, we request the following information:
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Intent - about 500 words. PLEASE include,
a. Your motivation for attending graduate school, what are your academic and professional goals?
b. Why are you applying to our department at Portland State University?
c. List your courses that are not yet on your transcripts - those in progress or new ones you
anticipate completing before graduation.
d. Please state if you would like to be considered for a teaching assistantship.
- Two letters of recommendation - they will be requested via the online system. If you are applying
for a teaching assistantship be sure to inform the people who are writing recommendations.
- A copy of your transcript from each post-secondary institution attended.
- A copy of your official test score (General GRE and TOEFL for international students).
We recommend this deadline for admission to the Winter or Spring terms.
Application to the Geology Department
Please apply to: www.applyweb.com/