Graduate Applications Instructions and Forms
For MA/MS and Graduate Certificate programs, you need to send material to both to the University and to the Geology Department. For PhD programs material should be sent to the University and the School fof the Environment.
Please make sure you are aware of the Geology Department Admission Criteria.
Departmental Application should include the following:
- Department Application Form (Available in application packets linked below)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Purpose, which should explain your motivation for attending graduate school at Portland State University and your acaemic goals and interests.
- Two letters of recommendation. (Please ask your contacts to send their recommedations directly to: Portland State University, Department of Geology, Attn: Graduate Committee Chair, 1721 SW Broadway, Portland, OR 97201)
- An official copy of your transcript from each post-secondary institution attended.
- Official test score (General GRE and TOEFL for international students), which should be sent directly to our department (see address above) from the testing agency.
- List of courses you anticipate completing before graduation that are not listed on your transcripts.
Students applying for a Graduate Assistantship should also submit:
- Application for Graduate Assistantship: GO-8 form (PDF format).
- Personal Evaluation: GO-9 form (PDF format). Two recommendation forms for Graduate Assistantship. Note that this form should be completed by the same persons who provided your letters of recommendation.
Applications are accepted year-round, however Graduate assistantships are normally assigned in February for the following Fall, Winter and Spring terms. The Geology Department recommends that a completed application be sent to the department no later than Jan 31st for MS Programs or Jan 15th for PhD programs of the year for Fall term admission in order to be competitive for Graduate Assistantships. It is also recommended that you also use this deadline if you are planning on starting at PSU in Winter or Spring term. This way you will be considered for a Graduate Assistantship position along with the Fall term applicants. If you apply later, the department my already have committed it's GA resources.